Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Gadzooks. No, Datsyuk!





I saw my first Red Wings game Sunday and, surprisingly, loved every minute. The Wings dominated the Colorado Avalanche, taking three times as many shots. It paid off. The Wings won 3-1. Despite my new allergy to cold, I did just fine at Joe Louis Arena.

The Joe was actually pretty cozy even though the seats were so small that I could barely fit in them. And as usual, I regretted taking three days' worth of newspapers along with me in case I got bored. After all, it was hard to take my eyes off no. 13, the Wings' star forward, streaking along the ice and doing utterly fancy things with the puck.

Ordinarily, I like sporting events just for the hot dogs (which I never eat otherwise), but I couldn't stop watching. The Wings won again tonight in OT-- 4-3 -- with a three-goal rally in the third period, as Pmurph described it.

Hmm. Could I actually be a closet sports fan? A hockey fan, no less? Well this is Hockeytown.

2 comments:

Brian said...

I'd be worried if you didn't become a hockey fan. Have you been to the hockey bar yet where the shooting took place? All this hockey talk reminds me of one of the highlights of my life...the time I got to proudly hoist the Stanley Cup.

Jen said...

We've been to the one in Dearborn, but definitely want to go to the one in lovely downtown Detroit.

In fact, they offer shuttles from many of the local bars to the ice arena. Yeah!

More reasons to move to Detroit!