Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Where on earth is colder than here? Mongolia. Where else?!




A day ago, I posted about how it increasingly seems like we live in Antarctica or Iceland because of the frigid temperatures here. (The thermometer on the Vue registered 4 degrees this morning.)

Well, my brother pointed out that Iceland actually has a milder climate than places of similar latitude. And I knew (from a recent story I wrote on scientists studying bugs in Antarctica) that it's summer in Antarctica and the area might be experiencing some of its warmer temps now. So I will amend my post.

It seems like we suddenly live in Ulan Bator, Mongolia (above) or Yakutsk, Russia.

From wikepedia:

Ulan Bator is the coldest national capital in the world, with an average annual temperature of 29.7°F.

Yakutsk is one of the coldest cities on earth, with January temperatures averaging -45°F.

(I love learning new stuff because of this silly blog.)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Speaking of Mongilia, you and Pat need to try out BD's Mongolian Barbeque. I absolutely LOVE that place. Quite possibly one of my favorite restaurants of all time. They are all over the place in Michigan, including Dearborn!

http://www.gomongo.com/locations/locationDetails.php?loc=3

Mmmmm, so good! It's making my mouth water just thinking about it!

Sadly, southwest Ohio has no Mongolian BBQ. :(

Jen said...

Yay for you that one is a-comin'!

Ian said...

I used to live in Ulan Bator, It was freezing cold and the food was terrible. You might find this interesting:

http://ian-englishmanabroad.blogspot.com/2009/02/mongolia-awaits.html