Saturday, February 10, 2007

Who knew Fridays could be so much fun?!

For years, Patrick worked a night shift. He now works days Monday through Thursday and gets off at 10 p.m. on Friday. It may seem late, but it's been a wonderful change. I can't believe I've been deprived of Friday night outings for most of our past ten years.

This week, we took advantage of downtown Detroit's Winter Blast event, which includes bands, a snow slide, discounts at a bunch of restaurants and more.

Our first stop was Small Plates, a tapas-style restaurant across from the Detroit Opera House where all the food is served in mini portions. I had a petite tenderloin with gorgonzola cream sauce (yum!) while Patrick had some baby crab cakes. We split some lettuce wraps.

I also downed a Banfi Chianti Classico Riserva, which was fruity and smooth, if just a teeny bit dry. Bonus: We got a 15 percent discount for our meal with a Winter Blast coupon.


Afterward, we zipped next door to Detroit Beer Company.

What joy! Turns out that pints of beer are just $2 after 10 p.m. I had a pumpkin spice beer but coveted Patrick's delicious India Pale Ale. (I like to be adventurous, but sometimes "tried and true" is where it's at!)

Side note: We met a strange little Canadian fellow named Wade who was silly-drunk. After chatting with us about hockey and Canada, he practically forced me off my seat and hassled me to go talk to his friend/love interest, Monica. I did, mostly because he was spitting a bit when he talked and I didn't mind getting away.

Well, Monica was quite obliterated, too, but explained the merits of moving from the suburbs to downtown Detroit. At one point, she asked me how I knew Wade, and I said, "I don't. He forced me off my chair and made me come talk to you."

Wide-eyed, she shook her head and slurred, "That's bad!" Well, I soon left Monica, and Wade soon left Patrick. He returned later and tried for about eight minutes to pay his tab, never getting the attention of a waitress. During that time, drunken Monica bolted out the door and Wade said, "I'm a good boy (i.e. I usually pay my tab), but I have to watch over her."

And he dashed, too.

I watched in awe as the waitress (who had seen me talking to Monica) noticed they split without paying. There was a flurry of action to run after them, but they were gone. I waited for the waitress to come over and say we owed $26 for our friends who split without paying. Thankfully, it never happened.

What a night! We may return to Winter Blast today. Hopefully, Wade and Monica will be too hung over to join us.

2 comments:

Gina said...

Hmm. I think "Wade" and "Monica" were really "Jen" and "Pat."

he he he

Jen said...

Oh my. We returned to the Detroit Beer Co. on Saturday. The waitress recognized us. I explained we didn't really know Wade and Monica even though we were caught talking with them. Not sure if she believed us.

She did say people should never get that drunk in public. I agree. Who needs all that spitting?!!