Saturday, March 10, 2007

Comfortable weekend, ambitious wine, funny memories...


Patrick and I had a comfortable weekend, returning to our recent favorites haunts -- Slow's and Atlas Global Bistro. I had the blackened catfish at Slow's and, I must say, my lips were aflame.

But my wine choice was anything but comfortable. I ventured out and had a Chateau Gauthier Medoc Bordeaux (2003). I'll go on a limb and say it had flavors of black cherry, boysenberry and vanilla overtones. Bottom line -- it was tast-eeee!

At Atlas, I was in a quandary. Do I go with the familiar Mas Borras Pinot Noir or the Dry Creek Meritage? Oh, the Pinot was yummy but I again strayed from the comfortable and went with the Meritage. Bevmo.com said it has "has black cherries, plums, and hints of dried herbs, picking up notes of coffee and chocolate." I don't know about all that but it was a joy to sip and swirl.

Must've been fate that I picked the Meritage. Wikipedia said it's a wine made in the Bordeaux style. I guess I had France on my mind yesterday.

I had a brief brush with fame when I was in the Bordeaux region of France some years ago. My best pal from college, Ame, and I briefly spoke with Harry Connick Jr. He was at a concert there and we snagged some tickets from a French scalper, I think. (How we managed to buy legitimate tickets to see Harry Connick Jr. in Bordeaux from a French scalper, I'll never know.) Anyway, we waited with a bunch of groupies outside the back door of the concert venue until he arrived. My pal Ame finally got a chance to talk with him as he walked around to sign autographs. She tried her best to come up with something clever. (And let me tell you, she's clever.)

But all she could muster was: "Harry, did-did-did you miss Thanksgiving? We-we-we missed Thanksgiving."

That's it. That was our moment with Harry in Bordeaux.

No comments: