Thursday, March 1, 2007

HappyHappyHappyHappy Day times two.

Patrick and I opened gifts from my brother and sister-in-law on Patrick's birthday. And my mom, who claims she can't bake, made Patrick a delish chocolate cake. (My dad helped Patrick change his head light, but I don't think that was a birthday gift, specifically.)

Even Phoebe got a gift -- some tasty Frosty Paws. Yum. She ate her whole frosty cup in minutes. (Last year on her birthday, I made her a doggy cake with a recipe I found on the Web. It was peanut butter-carrot with cottage cheese frosting.)

Giving her the Frosty Paws reminded me of old times when we used to take her to the legendary Putz's Creamy Whip -- a plain cup of vanilla for her, a chocolate swirl with chocolate sprinkles in a cone for me and a chocolate malt shake for Patrick. You Cincinnatians need to go there. It's a West side mainstay. And as they say, West Side, Best Side. (Keep that in mind if you want to buy a house. Our lovely place is still for sale.)

But I digress. Back to the gifts. We got a super cool game of Wine-opoloy and a book called the "Judgment of Paris" on the 1976 legendary wine-tasting event that transformed the wine industry.

I wish all my old pals were here because we'd have a wine-tasting party and play Wine-opoly. The concept is much like the original monopoly except that you buy wineries instead of properties like Boardwalk. In lieu of houses and hotels, you pile grapes and decanters on your wineries.

There's no Community Chest or Chance. Rather, you select from the red and white card decks. An example of a card: "You've been elected president of your local wine club. Pay $20 to each player that voted for you." Or "You've toured your third winery of the day. Stumble back 7 spaces."

Best of all, you get to learn about wine from the winery property cards. For example, the Beaujolais Nouveau card says: "This wine is traditionally sold on the third Thursday of November and is best when consumed before the end of the year."

I had my only two-day hangover ever from Beaujolais Nouveau when I lived in France. (The nouveau is released with great fanfare and partying each year in France.) I didn't drink red wine again for about ten years! A travesty. I disagree that the wine can be likened to pleasantly tart barroom swill. It can be lovely and a good, drinkable table wine some years (Hmm. I almost sound like I know what I'm talking about) even though it may have harmed France's wine industry.

Anyway, all this promises to be much fun. If I learn more about new wines, I'll share. So happy birthday to us. Thirty-three is looking to be a good year.

No comments: