Thursday, March 22, 2007

Yeah, Korte, I'm talkin t'you!

You're right.

Okay, so it's true that we don't have the Reds, a team that hasn't made the playoffs since 1995.


We just have the Tigers. Yes, they're a valid contender for the World Series again this year. Yes, they were a phenomenal story as last year's underdog. But it's true that we do not have cheerleaders teeny-bopping around Tiger Stadium

And no we don't have good ol' junior, who played an awesome 2 months out of the last six years he's been with the team. We just have beloved Mayor Casey and Pudge, possibly the best catcher in baseball ever.



And no, we can't claim such magnificent lyricists as the 98 degrees boys. We can only say we are the home of the legendary Motown sound, and soulful crooners like Marvin, Stevie, Diana, Smokey and a few others. (Do we need to mention last names?)



It is true that we don't have the mighty Ohio River in our backyard. (Can you swim in that, by the way?) We just have a couple of lakes nearby. And who really needs all this freshwater shoreline?



No, we don't have runny chili that prides itself in having a mystery ingredient. (Is it cinnamon? Persimmon? MSG?) We just claim to be home of the original coney dog, a mountain of beefy chili on a juicy dog that's topped with a healthy heaping of mustard and onions for flavah. See my previous post. I don't want to rehash.

But let's not fight. We all know that Cincinnati has it goin' on. You got that healthy political atmosphere that has people clamoring to come downtown and has businesses itching to locate there. Right? By the way, how's that Nordstram's?

Okay, okay. Stop it. I love Cincinnati. You all know that. I miss it, too.


But come and taste a little Detroit and you'll see what I mean. The Detroit Institute of Arts and the phenomenal Detroit Film Theater are world class. The Symphony is terrific. The sports teams are plentiful. We have Mexican tortilla soup, Mediterranean beef shawarma, Polish pierogi, fancy French pastries, Japanese sushi, oysters on the half shell, and stuffed grape leaves. And heck, we've got the People Mover.

It may be a little colder and the tulips might be three weeks late, but you just might get hooked like I did.

XOXO

2 comments:

Gregory said...

My response.

Anonymous said...

Okay, truce.

I not only love Cincinnati, but I have too much respect for you, Greg, to duke it out. (You'd win. I know this because, if you recall, I started your fan club. I wouldn't dare take on one of the best reporters I've ever met or read.)

Long live Cincinnati. Viva Detroit!