Monday, April 9, 2007

Oh that? That's just my old high school.



I pointed out my high school as we were driving past the other day. I have to say that I sort of did a double-take. I had forgotten how magnificent the Fordson High building really is.

The school was completed in 1928 for a cool $2.2 million. Wikipedia (for what it's worth) said it was the first school building in the nation that cost more than $1 million.

According to the historical marker, the school was designed in the Neo-Tudor style and is is reminiscent of sixteenth century English universities and manor houses. The tower was inspired by the Yale University Memorial Quadrangle.

Our mascot? The tractors.

Yes, I said tractors. We were named such after the Fordson Tractor produced by Ford Motor Co. and said to be the first agricultural tractor that was mass-produced.

I wondered why the school adopted the mascot, though, after I read on Wikipedia that:

Not only was the Fordson a challenge to start and operate, but it also quickly developed a bad reputation for its propensity to rear up on its hind wheels and tip over, which proved disastrous - and sometimes fatal - for its operator.
Ford Motor Company largely ignored the issue for a number of years as criticism mounted. One farm magazine recommended that Ford paint a message on each Fordson: "Prepare to Meet Thy God."


Oh my.

No comments: