Sunday, April 22, 2007

Scenes from Tiger Stadium


Okay, okay. It's really called Comerica Park these days, but I've always known it as Tiger Stadium.

I went to my second game there this week and saw two very different perspectives -- luxury box (too fancy) and bleachers (too rowdy). I have a feeling I'll prefer the regular ol' sun-bleached seats when I finally get to try them.

Some people don't like the new Tiger Stadium, including my dad. ("If I want to go to a carnival, I'll go to a carnival," he says.)

Critics also aren't hot on the ballpark. To read more on the fave parks of critics, click here.

But I'm enchanted with all the details, including the towering tigers that seem to crawl all over the facade. The brickwork is beautiful, as is the decorative tiling.

The inside provides standing-room only areas where people can get a great view of the game. The connected bars and restaurants are another great way watch the game. (Cincinnatians, they even have a Montgomery Inn stand!)

They have a carousel where kids can ride the Tigers and a Ferris wheel in which the cars are shaped like baseballs.

I also like the doors to the Tiger Den that are carved like the face of a tiger. The handles of the various restaurants are made of bats. Everywhere you look, you can find similar details.

But you be the judge. Here are some scenes...





Now, if only they'd win a game when I'm there!

No comments: