Saturday, July 7, 2007

Books, books, books




I wish I could be more like my brother (for many reasons), but an easy transformation would be gaining satisfaction from getting books from the library, like he does.

That's because I have a book addiction -- many of which I never read... or I start but can't seem to finish. But I'll say that there's nothing like the sound of cracking open the spine of a brand new book. And I do love my dog-eared pages.

But here are some that haven't been much cracked:

Paris to the Moon (A memoir that didn't quite have the same feeling as being there, as I'd hoped.)

Made in Detroit (I will read this. I will. But I've misplaced it it somewhere in the basement.)

Boiling Point (A book on "how politicians, big oil and coal, journalists, and activists have fueled the climate crisis." I will read this one, too, but first I had to get the reading bug back with some good page-turning fiction.)

Michelangelo and the Pope's Ceiling (The fascinating, dramatic tale of Michelangelo's efforts to paint the Sistine Chapel. I'm sure I'll get back to this. It really was a good read. Hmm. But when will I get back to it?)

Paris 1919 (Patrick confiscated this while I was trying to read it. I got through a good portion, but I've forgotten everything and would have to start from the beginning.)

Interpreter of Maladies (Nine short stories about the lives of people from India or immigrants from India. I read a few. Why couldn't I finish?)

Grapes of Wrath (I started this when I was reading the Cesar Chavez biography and thought it would have good synergy with the stories of Chavez's grape boycott. An excerpt: "The last rain fell on the red and gray country of Oklahoma in early May. The weeds became a dark green to protect themselves from the sun's unyielding rays.... " I do think it's criminal I haven't finished this book.)

Fast Food Nation (I read most of it, but just couldn't get to the very end.)

Guns, Germs and Steel (I used to love books about science so I recently bought this one. I started it then moved on to fiction. I think I'll get back to it when the reading bug is fully settled in my stomach, or head or wherever he resides.)

Anna Karenina (I have an English major so I feel obligated to buy the classics. And then they sit there.)

Keep in mind that I actually do finish some books. I really do. And I feel proud when I go to Barnes and Noble and see a number of the books I've tackled. But I also feel pained at how many I buy that collect dust. I guess I could have worse addictions. Right?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, why did you have to make this another post? I love reading what you write, but then I feel compelled to comment (otherwise, I just can't sleep soundly). I'd purposely not mentioned Paris to the Moon, because it's one I feel most "guilty" about; I OWN three copies, which is silly in and of itself, but haven't started it, and I don't want to give them away because each was a gift and each is actually inscribed. Ugh.

Here's the real clincher, though: All of the Amanda Quick romance novels I own, because people think it's cute to buy them for me. I have read all of the sexy parts, though.

Anonymous said...

Hahahah. Three copies of Paris to the Moon?

Anyway, I felt compelled to do another post because the last one was so interesting. But don't ever feel obligated to comment.

There are a number of people who read this blog who never comment.

However, there sure ain't as many people reading as the masses who read www.gdaugherty.blogspot.com, that's for sure. That site is off the chain.

Anonymous said...

I've read Gina's 'blog; I've read yours; I read hundreds of others daily. I don't compare or rate 'blogs, but if you're giving a shout out, hell yeah!

ps: "compelled to comment" before sleep was a bit tongue in cheek, although I do like the rapport and chit-chat.