Sunday, August 26, 2007

A trip to the farm.



We might have been a little early for apple-picking, but I just couldn't wait. I love trips to the u-pick farms. I was just sorry that we were so early in the year that there was only one type of apple to chose from -- the Transparent apple. (Anyway, we were told it was a Transparent, but I'm having trouble finding info on a red and yellow Transparent, like the ones we had. I can only seem to locate info on the yellow ones.)

Anyway, all that is beside the point. We filled a giant $10 bag which I think amounted to about 60-70 apples or so. They were sweet with a nice tart finish and extremely fragrant. I figured they'd be wonderful for apple crisp, and I was right.

After our afternoon picnic, apple-picking excursion, bike ride and beer stop in Rochester, we came home and I roped my mom into peeling and coring apples at 10 p.m. By 11 p.m., we had a steaming dish of cinnamon-y apple crisp that was the quintessential taste of fall. (Yes people, it's almost fall, and I love it.)

I got the wonderful recipe off Cooks.com. Go pick some apples at a local farm and try it out...

APPLE CRISP

4 cups apple slices, peeled
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup oats, rolled (raw)
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup butter

Put apples in shell baking dish and sprinkle with lemon juice. Combine dry ingredients, add melted butter and mix until crumbly. Sprinkle crumb mixture over apples. Bake at 375°F for 30 minutes or until apples are tender. Makes six servings.
Serving Size: 1

Submitted By: Dolores Campbell

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Dolores Campbell's recipe! She is simply the best (there was a smirk and a wink implied in there, and in a very sweet "I wish I had a Southern relative named Dolores Campbell who make me apple crisp" sort of way.
I just read a recipe for very simple and (rated excellent) apple bread, if you still have apples left.