Friday, August 31, 2007

A Latin Thursday



Some days I just marvel at the diversity of Metro Detroit.

I know, I know... people who lived in New York or Boston would scoff at that, but there's really a lot to experience here. And I, for one, don't take it for granted.

Take today for instance: Patrick and I had a lovely lunch in Mexicantown, and I was reminded of all the restaurants, shops and bakeries there we have yet to visit. We ended the evening with our very first Salsa lesson at a dance studio in nearby Wyandotte. (My awesome parents surprised us by paying for the lessons we had signed up for as an anniversary gift.)

But it's not just the Salsa lessons or even bright, thriving Mexicantown that has me appreciating the diversity.

I recently signed up for a Saturday class on how to make Polish Pierogis at the local community college, and I was struck by some of the offerings. I had a really tough time choosing between that and "Taste of Greece," "Cook a Delicious Lebanese Lunch," "Polish Specialties" and other offerings.

Detroit may not be the first place people think of as a hip place to live, and yes, the metro area is stunningly segregated, but I love the diversity of the place. And I just find myself thrilled with all the cuisines, cultures, dances and music we have yet to experience.

Now, if I could only get myself to sign up for that Spanish class I've always wanted to take...

No comments: