Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Oh, the bourgeoisie!


Saw Cyrano de Bergerac, the opera, over the weekend. The sets were phenomenal and the music, especially the soprano lead, was lovely. It was a coup for the Michigan Opera Theater and Detroit because it was created by MOT's own director, David DiChiera.

And hey, I like anything that includes a scene with hundreds of baguettes.

But the highlight may have been the two biddies who sat next to us. After Act Two, they got up, "having seen enough" and then proceeded to gasp when they saw the line of unwrapped "candy," which was really a line of cough drops, that I had on my program.

"My world, child, how much candy have you got there?" one of them asked.

I told her they were actually cough drops that I unwrapped before that act so I wouldn't make a bunch of noise during the singing.

"You're sick?" she exclaimed and gasped again. "Good lord, get me away from here."

And then I'm pretty sure she made the sign of the cross. They were so grumpy that I couldn't help but to be amused.

I thoroughly enjoyed Act Three -- and my cough drops -- in peace.

2 comments:

Gina said...

Those old bags.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, we'd never be like that. Hmmm. Well, you might -- but only if you were at Les Miserables.

Ha ha!

;)