Monday, January 7, 2008

Is Heaven in black and white?



I have always enjoyed the New Yorker (and coveted the mountain of issues my pal, Gina, had in her apartment) but really fell in love with it a few months ago when I was at Barnes and Noble and read an engrossing and very looooong story about the perils of the olive oil trade and how it's plagued by fraud and corruption. (Take note: that fancy olive oil you're dipping your baguette in might really be hazelnut oil or some other inferior oil.)

Patrick got me a subscription for Christmas, and the first issue I received did not disappoint. I could not put down the piece about the Getty art curator who was accused in Greece and elsewhere of illegal antiquities dealing. It was like a high-drama mystery novel delivered right to my door and condensed to a manageable 8 or so pages.

This week, the story on the Giuliani campaign strategy was fascinating, and now I'm riveted by a story about a Manhattan developer's efforts to bulldoze a city block that included one of the city's oldest buildings...and one man's efforts to find the story behind the structure.

It is so nice to read compelling, well-written, long stories that actually enlighten you. The New Yorker has been especially welcome since I'm getting over a bad cold and have to plow back into bed every couple of hours or so after any activity.

Yes, it soon may be hard to keep up with the weekly delivery when we have the baby, but I'm so glad the addiction has set in.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember that cover! I have loads of back issues if you want them; I feel it's pretty timeless. I stopped my subscription last year because my mom still gets it and now I get it for free! I remember the first year I subscribed and it was like Christmas every week when it came in the mail; I could not be bothered by anything else and I just settled in for the next few evenings and devoured. Now, I can't keep up. But I still enter the cartoon contests.
I'm so glad you love it like I do, and have been enjoying it. I have a tiny confession about it that I won't admit in a public forum, because I get wide stares and gapes when I tell people...

Gina said...

I would like to note that while the New Yorker never ceases to enlighten and entertain me, it also causes me considerable grief in realizing my mediocrity.

Jen said...

Hmm. Wide stares and gapes, Amanda? Do you wallpaper your house with the covers? You can't throw any issues away so you've insulated the walls with them? You've won the cartoon caption contest so many times that the New Yorker has banned your mail?

Anonymous said...

Tell that to the Kansas Board of Education!