Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Did I say that?

Did I really say M. was developing a sleep routine?

I should have my degree from Kalamazoo College revoked. The only routine is no routine. Two nights ago, she was up on and off for a good 4 hours. We fed, sang, chatted, etc. from about 12:30-4:30 a.m. Yesterday, we went to bed at 10 p.m., and she only woke 3 times before 8 a.m. to feed and have diaper changes.

She loves to be unpredictable, I s'pose. The late nights are, of course, a crazy adjustment, but I appreciate all of them. Everyone tells me to enjoy these moments because pretty soon I won't even remember the sound of her newborn cry... or her frequent bouts of baby hiccups...or all the odd little squeaky noises she makes for no reason...or the feel of her soft, teeny bum, which fits in my palm. (Note to self: record baby cries, hiccups and squeakiness!)

Ah, but I was right about one thing: her umbilical cord fell off, and now she has a regular little belly button. The cord was missing for a while (and I secretly worried the dog ate it), but we found it. Thanks, Daddy, for tearing apart the bed.

No comments: