Saturday, January 27, 2007

Score!

Okay, so my second week of work on the new job is over.

Let's see ... I figured out how to do a photo assignment (and assigned three), had two front page stories (co-bylined), already had to come in for breaking news on a Sunday, put my lovely bamboo plant on my desk (it's the tallest desk decor in the newsroom) and survived my first school forum where about 400 angry parents were demanding answers about school closures.

Pretty awesome, right? Well, not as awesome as this:



Blog, meet Slows, the best beer joint I have ever met.

Slows Bar BQ on Michigan Ave. in Detroit (along our path to work) has 20 (yes, I said 20) beers on tap. After work Friday, Patrick and I paid a second visit to Slows.

Along with some fried catfish and spicy remoulade dip, I had a Lindemans Framboise, a Lambic beer from Belgium described on the menu as, "Sweet and flowery with a pronounced tart raspberry finish."

All true!

Pmurph had a Lion Stout from Sri Lanka, a smooth dark beer that almost tasted like it was flavored with a touch of Bourbon. I told Patrick he should attempt to eventually taste all 20 beers on tap... then I realized that they change the taps and we may never try every beer.

You know, I worried it would be hard to find new hangouts in Detroit, of all places, but my worry was in vain. From the sweet mashed potatoes to the baby back ribs to the multitude of brews, Slows does not disappoint.

Indeed, Slows is reason #223 to move to Detroit. Don't knock it 'til you try it.

5 comments:

Paul said...

Add this to the list of places we need to visit when Gina and I come for a visit!

Kelly said...

Oh, Jen. It's so sad that you're so miserable in Detroit that you have to make up fake reasons to be happy, like the bar with 20 beers.

I will think of you the next time I'm at Mulligans, with its wall of more than 30 beers. I will pour out a bit onto the floor for you. (But not too much, because the waiters might get mad.)

Seriously, though - that place does sound pretty good. I love ribs.

Unknown said...

I definetly second the review of Lindeman's, it quickly became one of my favorite beers the first time I tried it. And is there some kind of rule that says you can't try all 20 kinds of beer in one sitting? Come on, don't tell me you guys have gone soft so quickly living in D-town.

Jen said...

Oh, yeah. I forgot about 20 beers in one sitting. Hmm. That could be next Friday.

Um, and Kelly, I said Slows had 20 beers on tap. I just counted at least 94 beers on the menu. But let's not make this a contest. I love little pipsqueak Cincinnati and its teeny neighborhoods.

:)

Jen said...

And yes Paul, it would certainly be a place to visit. Patrick and I are keeping track of the many places we want you and Gina to see. After all, we're still lobbying to have you move here. (No, Gina, I don't care what you think about cold weather!)