Sunday, February 25, 2007

Discover the D vol. 1, chapter 1

So I've been perusing a book on the history of Detroit, and it's been fascinating.

Did you know that in 1608, Antoine Laumet de la Mothe Cadillac, a businessmen and former French commander, wanted to establish an outpost along the entrance to the western Great Lakes? He petitioned Louis XIV in Paris to reconsider western exploration and suggested a fort on le detroit -- "the strait" in French -- an 80-mile waterway linking Lake Erie and Lake Huron.

That stretch of water today is known as the Detroit River, Lake St. Clair and the St. Clair River.

Bonus tidbit: The Detroit River has 21 islands, the largest of which is 10-square-mile Grosse Ile.

Some of the other islands include Belle Isle, Bois Blanc, Horse, Fox, Grassy, Hickory, Calf, Mud, Stony, Sugar, Swan and Zug. Several of them have no inhabitants.

If I had to choose one to live on, I'd go with 29-acre Sugar Island. It just sounds good. But I'd be the only islander -- just me and the sugar maple trees.



Source: The Detroit Almanac: 300 years of life in the Motor City.

2 comments:

Paul said...

I'll live there with you. This is Gina, by the way, but Paul is logged in.

Jen said...

If you do, I'll cook you dinner every day! And I'll plant a sunflower garden just for you.

And I'll even paddle back and forth to the mainland once a week to get those big snowman cookies sugar cookies you like.