Friday, February 2, 2007

Meow!





Women are funny, aren't they? Patrick, the parents and I saw a play last weekend called the Women. The story centered on Mary Haines, a wealthy woman whose husband is fooling around with a shop girl named Crystal.

From Wikipedia:
The play is an acidic commentary on the pampered lives and power struggles of various wealthy Manhattan socialites and up-and-comers and the gossip that propels and damages their relationships. While men frequently are the subject of their lively discussions and play an important role in the action on-stage, they are strictly characters mentioned but never seen.

The play was acted entirely by women -- dozens of them, it seemed. And it was hilarious -- and frightening -- to see how they continuously back-stabbed each other. I loved the play, but isn't that just like women in a lot of cases? Catty.

Well, sure enough we had one of those catty types right in front of us. My mom and I had a debate during intermission about where the refreshments were -- in the front or the back of the theater. Well, my mom said they were positively in the back of the house even though the whole crowd was moving toward the front. She knew, she said, because she'd been there. Well, she was wrong. (So what, I say. My mom can say whatever she wants, damn it.)

I'm sore because some biddy in front of us had the nerve to whip around and say, "Refreshments are in the front, okay?" And then walked off.

Phew. Anybody who knows me knows you shouldn't mess with the family...or Gina. I'm kind of like one of the Corleones. ("Fredo, you're my older brother, and I love you. But don't ever take sides with anyone against the Family again. Ever.")

So I spent the rest of that intermission and the next intermission and the end of the play hiding halfway behind my playbook, pretending like I was talking about the biddy and giggling whenever she got up.

Meow.

4 comments:

Gina said...

You shoulda smacked that beeyotch. (Or old bag, whichever the case may be.)

Brian said...

Hell yeah, she deserved a beatdown like only you can dish out

Brian said...

Too bad Pat, the leg breaker wasns't there...then it would've really gotten ugly. I know for a fact he has no problem roughing up the ladies when called for and this definetly qualifies.

Paul said...

Clearly that old bag had no idea who she was talking to. She's lucky she didn't get a pointy-toed kick in the face!