Thursday, March 15, 2007

Damn you, Duke!



I am just really glad that Duke once did me a big favor because the Blue Devils sure wronged me tonight in the brackets.

See, I once applied for a PR or marketing job at Duke. This was almost right out of college, and I was vastly unqualified for the job. Duke must've known because I got no consideration. But shortly after that, my daddio and I took a whirlwind road trip to upstate New York and Pennsylvania so I could apply for two reporting jobs. (This is another story, but that was so much fun and a terrific once-in-a-lifetime dad-daughter trip for me.)

Anyway, my dad and I both got a really good vibe from the upstate New York paper, The Citizen. (A bit of trivia: The Citizen. is perhaps the only newspaper in the nation to have a period in its name.) Our good feelings were right-on because that remains one of the scrappiest papers I have ever seen. Shortly after, I took the job as a county reporter, running a bureau out of my wee apartment in the lovely Seneca Falls, NY (home of the women's rights movement).

It was there that I met Patrick, a news editor who I originally thought was some bum-sports reporter who always wore shorts and baseball hats to work. We became fast friends, shared a kiss one night and ten years later got married -- in upstate New York, of course.



Soooooo, Duke, you thought you got one over on me, but in the end, I turned out to be the big winner.

Take that!



(But Duke, I'm still ticked at you for that rotten loss tonight.)

4 comments:

Gina said...

What a great story!

And you're too good to work for Duke anyway. You'd be so over all those pretty boys.

Anonymous said...

Exactly. They're lucky they didn't get me. I'd mess their sh*t up!

Paul said...

I couldn't agree more with Gina. Jen, you're way too good for Duke.

Paul said...

And yeah, you'd totally mess their shit up!