Sunday, June 10, 2007

This blog is exhausted!

And so am I!

My mom had to go into the hospital Friday for emergency stomach cramping and dizziness. Long story short, it's been a frightening three days. She had to have surgery today after on-again off-again spurts of feeling fine and then miserable. Without offering the gory details, I'll just say that she's in recovery and feeling better but terribly tired and still in pain. She'll be there five more days... at least.

Without her here, I've been going over all the little things I'm missing about her, like having her call down to me several times a day to ask what I'm doing or if I'm hungry. Or hearing her talk to the cats. Or catching her summarily dismiss something my dad says. Few people get away with that!

And I tried to make my own fruit salad for lunch tomorrow, trying to follow her good example, and it just didn't look the same. I also couldn't figure out how she fits all the five fruits she manages to get in that little plastic container.

Then I was trying to string a neck band through the plastic loops in my new-ish binoculars, and it just wouldn't go. That's exactly the type of thing I would call my mom to do because she's got amazing patience.

Mostly, I'm missing how selfless she is. For instance, she recently agreed to watch my cousin's two-month-old baby once or twice a week (including one 12-hour day) and has decided she loves doing it. One of the first things she asked after surgery was: "Who's going to watch my baby this week?" My dad and brother are apparently stepping in.

My mom may be a tiny little lady, but she's a giant whirlwind of strength and organization. She's also the kindest person I've ever met. It was really seeing scary seeing her on that hospital bed today.

I can't wait until she's home.

4 comments:

Gina said...

Oh no! Poor Mrs. Mrozowski! I was thinking as I read that post, Who will make Jen's lunch now?

Ok. It's late so I don't want to wake anyone, but I'll call tomorrow for "the gory details."

Hope everyone is well.

Kelly said...

Aw, Jen, I'm sorry!

I hope your mom gets better very soon and shows you how to cram tons of fruit into a tiny bowl. :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks, ladies. I'm sure everything will be ok.

Anonymous said...

Jen,

Today is the first time I had a chance to read your blog in a week.

The things you wrote about me made me cry and you were not here to give me a hug.
I love you
Mom