Saturday, August 4, 2007

Enjoying Motown in Motown.



We're on our way to see The Mosaic Youth Theatre of Detroit’s hit play Now That I Can Dance at the Detroit Film Theater.

I can't wait. It may seem corny, but I really do love my Motown music, and this seems like a great way to hear some of my favorite songs.

From the DIA's Web site:

It's "the dramatic real-life story of the Marvelettes, five teenagers from Inkster, Mich. who went on to perform Motown Record’s first number one song, Please Mr. Postman. The play also follows the early stories of Diana Ross and Florence Ballard of the Supremes, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Smokey Robinson, the Vandellas, and the Contours."

"Now That I Can Dance was written by Mosaic founder Rick Sperling, based on interviews with many of the performers portrayed in the play. The main source for the script was the original Marvelette Katherine Anderson Shaffner, whose character serves as the narrator for the play. The show’s cast includes members of the community and Mosaic alumni performing side-by-side with Mosaic Youth Ensemble members."

Can't wait!

No comments: