Friday, August 3, 2007

Mmm.



Just got back from a tres delicieux lunch at Cuisine, a French restaurant in lovely Detroit.

I'm supposed to be off today, despite having to write a story this morning, and had planned a big day with my mum. The big day so far has consisted of lunch since we got pushed so far back, but it was worth the wait.

As I noted in the comments of this blog, I had the potato gnocchi amandine with asparagus. My mum had tomato bisque with tiny Brie sandwiches. We topped off lunch with a pineapple tarte tatin for dessert.

We drove all the way to the restaurant playing my new Edith Piaf CD, which I bought after watching the tres excellent movie La Vie En Rose, a bio of her tortured life.

I told my mom to pretend we were in France again, which was fun. We had a couple of wonderful trips there, touring not only Paris but Champagne and even Brussels. Some of the highlights included a tour of champagne houses including the famous Champagne Mumm.


In fact, just the other day, we were laughing about when my mom took a spill, so to speak, in front of a bunch of outdoor cafes near the Centre Pompidou. I laughed so hard I couldn't help her get up because all the French people who saw the fall said in a loud chorus, "Ouuufff!" It was like a comedic film.


My crazy mom didn't mention that she really hurt her knee as we traversed all across Paris over the next few days, climbing up and down the steps of the Notre Dame cathedral and the ones leading up to Montmartre, where we had rented a little apartment.

When we got home, the poor little lady had to have knee surgery. I'm apparently a terrible daughter, but we still had a terrific time.

:)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not that you're a bad or inaccurate photog, but what in the world are you "mmm"-ing here? I can't tell what this yumminess is and my inner-chowhound needs to know!

Anonymous said...

Potato gnocchi with asparagus at Cuisine in Detroit. My mum had a delish tomato soup with little Brie sandwiches.

Anonymous said...

Ahh, Cuisine. Haven't been there in a bit, but it looks like it's still delicieuse.