Saturday, March 1, 2008

Watching a husband become a father...



Wow!

I love my husband -- that's a given, but it's something totally different and phenomenal to love your husband as a father.

I am amazed by the tender moments Patrick spends with the baby.

I knew from their first conversation at the hospital (when he talked to her about where we live, why Syracuse b-ball is having such a bad season, how she got her last name, and the fact that we have a puppy at home named Phoebe who is going to be her best friend) that he was going to be a great dad.

I sit in awe sometimes as I watch him nimbly change and clean cloth diapers (yes, we're still happily using cloth, you naysayers), rock and jiggle her until she's content when she's crying for seemingly no reason, warm a bottle and feed her at 3 a.m. when I'm way too tired to wake for another feeding, or just sit with her and read her the paper (see above).

Actually, I even knew when she was in the womb that he would make a great daddy. See, while I had trouble even picturing the baby, Patrick was constantly telling me about these little moments when he'd envision their future together. My favorite one was when he told me he pictured the day when they would sit together at one of those little tables with the wee chairs, having an imaginary tea party and drinking cups o' nothin'.

Ha! Cups o' nothin'. I don't want to rush any of these days, but I cannot wait until the day they are sitting down at M.'s little table drinking cups o' nothin'.

4 comments:

Brian said...

What a sweet father/daughter moment. Sorry Jen but my favorite part is the fact that Pat is wearing a Caps jersey. There's gotta be a Caps promo in there somewhere.

Anonymous said...

Um. What IS her last name?

Amanda

Jen said...

She has her daddy's last name. After all, it was traumatic enough for me to learn to spell my last name. I still have trouble (but I'm glad I kept it).

:)

Jen said...

Oh and Brian,

Patrick and M. also have had many conversations about the Caps. Thank goodness for Ovechkin, eh? It's easier to stomach Syracuse's abysmal playing when we can balance it with Ovechkin's hat tricks.